The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) will be hosting a webinar on Culturally Responsive School Practices to Promote the Success of Hispanic English Learners on October 8, 2020, at 4:00 pm ET. Please see the event registration information below and share widely with your networks. This event is open to the public.
OELA Webinar: Culturally Responsive School Practices to Promote the Success of Hispanic English Learners
Hispanic English learners (ELs) possess varied demographic and academic backgrounds which are not always evident when students are collectively viewed as a group. It is critical to increase educators’ awareness of the diversity that exists among ELs who are Hispanic, and to identify and highlight the cultural and linguistic assets that students bring to their school and their community.
English learners (ELs) who speak Spanish as a home language make up nearly 75% of all ELs in public schools, which leads to the increased development and availability of Spanish language resources and scaffolds. However the persistence of academic achievement disparities between Hispanic ELs and their EL peers requires us to examine curriculum and instruction practices for alignment with culturally responsive leading and learning.
Join presenters from the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) and the Regional Education Laboratories (REL) Pacific on October 8, 2020, at 4:00 pm ET to examine the factors that impact the social and emotional well-being of Hispanic ELs, identify research-based strategies to establish culturally responsive school environments, and discuss how to promote the academic achievement of diverse learners.
A certificate of completion will be available to registered attendees who participate in at least 90% of the webinar time.
- Dr. Katie Gao, Managing Researcher at McREL International
- Dr. Tameka Porter, Managing Consultant at McREL International
- Delia Pompa, Fellow for Education Policy at MPI’s National Center on Immigrant Integration Policy
Be sure to join us on October 8 for this interesting discussion!
Register for the Webex Webinar through the link provided above. Please provide your first name, last name, email address, and select if you would like to join the Nexus Newsletter.
Instructions to Join the Webinar
- After registering you will receive a confirmation notice with information and a link for joining the webinar.
- · Plan to join 5–10 minutes early to complete the sign-in process.
- · You may need to download a Webex extension on to your device.
- · If you do not have a microphone or your computer audio does not work, you can join through phone.
- Join the webinar with computer audio.
- Call the US Toll number in the confirmation notice, or
- Click on the provided link to join the webinar.
If you experience any issues with registering or joining the webinar, please send an email to email@example.com.
Patrick Rooney, Director
School Support and Accountability