Lessons from the Field: How Schools and Districts are
Meeting the Social-Emotional and Mental Health Needs of Students and Staff
Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:00 - 4:15 PM ET
Attention: Education Agencies, Education Providers and Student Support Staff
The U.S. Department of Education is hosting a webinar series to support educational settings in safely sustaining or returning to in-person instruction. The series features lessons learned and best practices from teachers, faculty, staff, schools, districts, institutions of higher education, early childhood education providers, other places of educational instruction, describing approaches to reopening and operating safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of the U.S. Department of Education (ED), Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, the National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE) invites you to join the next webinar, Lessons from the Field: How Schools and Districts Are Meeting the Social-Emotional and Mental Health Needs of Students and Staff.
Date: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 Time: 3:00-4:15 pm EST
Please join us for this informative webinar featuring updates from key federal agencies and practical strategies from schools and districts engaged in supporting the social-emotional and mental health needs of students and staff as they continue to offer in-person instruction or return to full in-person instruction safely. The session will first provide information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and then include a panel discussion with practitioners sharing lessons learned and best practices designed to support social-emotional and mental health needs at schools.
- · Ruth Ryder: Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education
- · Dr. Kathleen A. Ethier: Director, Division of Adolescent and School Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- · Dr. Anita Everett: Director, Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- · Representatives from Local Education Agencies
This event will reference the following resources, which we encourage you to download in advance of the webinar to inform participation:
- · ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools (PDF)
- · ED COVID-19 Handbook Volume 2: Roadmap to Reopening Safely and Meeting All Students' Needs (PDF)
- · CDC Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Prevention
- · CDC Association of Children’s Mode of School Instruction with Child and Parent Experiences and
Well-being During the COVID-19 Pandemic—COVID Experiences Survey
- · CDC Connection is Key to Good Adolescent Mental
- · CDC What Works: Safe and Supportive School Environments
- · CDC Parents for Healthy Schools Resources
- · SAMHSA School Mental Health Initiative
For your reference, slides for this presentation will be posted on the event webpage on the day of the event.
You must register to participate in this presentation.
Please contact NCSSLE if you have any questions. We look forward to sharing this information with you
and hearing from you about the important work you are doing in your schools, communities, and states to meet the needs of your students and staff as they return to in-person instruction.