Dear Title I, Part D State Directors:
To support your planning for school year (SY) 2020-2021, attached (via links below) are three tables related to fiscal year (FY) 2020 (SY 2020-2021) preliminary allocations for Title I, Part D (Programs for Children and Youth who are Neglected, Delinquent, or At-Risk) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESEA). The estimates are based on the FY 2020 appropriation, which became law in December 2019. Information about each table follows.
- FY 2020 Title I-D Sbt 1 Preliminary Notification Table:
- This table lists preliminary FY 2020 Title I, Part D, Subpart 1 (Subpart 1) allocations.
- In calculating the preliminary Subpart 1 allocations, the U.S. Department of Education (ED):
- Used the same calendar year 2018 State agency counts that SEAs submitted for FY 2019 allocations and school year (SY) 2017-2018 State per-pupil expenditure (SPPE) data submitted by SEAs to ED’s National Center for Education Statistics.
- Incorporated revisions to FY 2019 allocations due to corrections from several SEAs to data used in the FY 2019 allocations after ED had awarded FY 2019 funds on July 1, 2019.
- ED will issue final FY 2020 allocations in June, which will be the basis for the July 1, 2020 grant award.
- When ED calculates final FY 2020 Subpart 1 allocations in June to determine the July 1 award amounts, the final FY 2020 allocations will differ from the preliminary FY 2019 allocations because ED will use the calendar year 2019 State agency counts that SEAs are currently submitting in place of the calendar year 2018 counts that ED used for the preliminary FY 2020 allocations.
- Section 1004(a) of the ESEA authorizes an SEA to reserve for State administration of Title I (Parts A, C, and D) not more than one percent or $400,000, whichever is greater, from funds allocated to the State under Title I, Parts A, C, and D (Subpart 1).
- For FY 2020, similar to recent years, the administrative cap provision in section 1004(b) of the ESEA applies because the $16.7 billion appropriated in total for Title I, Parts, A, C, and D exceeds $14 billion.
- Under section 1004(b), the amount an SEA reserves for State administration may not exceed one percent of the amount it would otherwise receive if $14 billion were allocated among the States for Title I, Parts A, C, and D.
- In order for an SEA to determine the maximum it may reserve for Title I State administration under the preliminary allocations, this table shows how much each SEA would receive under Title I, Parts A, C, and D if $14 billion were made available.
- ED will revise this table in June as part of calculating final FY 2020 allocations.
- FY 2020 Title I-D Sbt 2 Final Notification Table:
- This table shows the amount of FY 2020 Title I, Part A funds that ED allocated in the preliminary FY 2020 Title I, Part A allocations for SEAs to implement Title I, Part D, Subpart 2 (Subpart 2) activities.
- The Subpart 2 allocations are primarily based on the October 2018 counts of children in locally operated institutions for delinquent children that SEAs submitted to ED for FY 2019 allocations.
- When ED calculates final Title I, Part A allocations in June to determine the July 1 Title I, Part A award amounts, it will use the October 2019 counts of children in locally operated institutions for delinquent children that SEAs are currently submitting to ED in place of the October 2018 counts that ED used for the preliminary allocations.
Thank you for your work in implementing Title I, Part D programs to provide services to children and youth served by these programs. Please send any questions about the preliminary FY 2020 allocations to Titleiemail@example.com, Elizabeth Witt (Elizabeth.Witt@ed.gov), and Todd Stephenson (Todd.Stephenson@ed.gov).
Director, School Support and Accountability